My husband and I went down at about 6:30 this morning to vote. I’d been hearing a lot from Facebook friends, and others elsewhere on the internet, who had been waiting hours in line even with early voting. Even though I think there’d only be enough people in our voting district to form a line hours long if everyone showed up at the same time, I still thought it’d be good to show up early, and get it done.

There were quite a few cars in the parking lot when we got there, a lot more than in previous elections at that polling place, and a lot of people sitting at tables, or standing at the booths, filling out their paper ballots, but fortunately, there was only one other person in line ahead of us.

In the A-G line, however, there was a short line, headed by a young woman who was trying to vote even though she wasn’t sure she was in the right place. The last time she’d voted had been in Smithville, and apparently there were a couple different polling places she could have been registered at, but apparently she’d picked the wrong one. They had neither her name nor address in their registration books. I don’t know what they finally did with her, but I could tell that everyone was getting frustrated.

I got my ballot, and went to a booth and filled in all the little circles, and my husband went to a table in the next room. Apparently, I was much quicker at filling in the circles than he was. 😉

When I finished, I took my ballot over to the scan box, which wasn’t scanning, so the lady watching the box told me to put it into a side pocket, and they were waiting for someone to come and fix the box.

Right as my husband finished, the lady came to look at the box. The scanner was just barely taking in the ballot, then spitting it back out. She had Jonathan try to put in his ballot a couple of times, then pulled the scanner away from the top of the box to see what was going on. Apparently there was a lock on the top of the ballot box that needed to be turned, so that the ballot could pass from the scanner into the box, and not get stuck there. So she pulled out a key and turned the lock. After that, my husband’s ballot went through.

The person who’d been watching the box asked what they should do with the ballots they had put in the side pocket, and she said they needed to get both the Democrat and Republican watchers, and have them watch while they scanned them in. That seems like a fair way to do it to me. Then she had to leave to go on to the next polling area with a problem.


One thought on “Voting

Comments are closed.